Thursday, August 20, 2009

Amish (?) Bread

When it comes to the kitchen, I am a little bit stunted in my understanding and talent for making yeast breads. I have no idea why- something in the proportions of liquids to yeast, rising times, proofing, etc. Earlier this summer, I was determined not to have to start buying breads with Nik being away- so I set out to find recipes that were fool-proof. The first few attempts usually ended in a "squatty loaf" that I would force myself to eat. However, the last thing I wanted was a bread that looked more like a pound cake loaf for my sandwiches. Finally, Nik found a recipe that was both easy and has yielded nothing but tasty loaves of white bread!

*My mom was telling me how to alter this to make wheat bread, but she should just publish her recipe up here. While I think I came make a pretty killer white bread, her wheat is still the best.*

When it is just me, I cut the loaves in half and freeze them. It is easy to thaw them as needed, which then usually means that none of the bread is lost to mold or becoming stale. In the end, everybody wins: no preservatives, no waste, no extra plastic packaging to worry about!

2 cups warm water
2 Tbs yeast
2 Tbs honey
1 Tbs sugar
1 egg
2 Tbs vegatable oil
1 1/2 tsp salt
6 cups of flour

Dissolve honey and sugar into hot water, let cool slightly (I found the yeast doesn't bloom as well if the water is too hot, but the sugars don't dissolve as well if it isn't hot enough) before adding yeast. Let stand for 5 minutes.

Beat egg and oil together. Add to yeast mixture with salt.

Stir in flour. I usually use the stand mixer for the whole process using the dough hook. It is easiest with that amount of flour (in my opinion). I turn the mixer on medium for this first part until things are mixed together well. Then turn it on medium-high for about five minutes to "knead" it all together. I suppose you could take the dough out and knead it on a lightly floured surface as well! Then I put it into a large bowl that has been sprayed down to keep the dough from sticking, put the dough in covered with plastic wrap. Let double in size (about 45 minutes).

Punch down the dough to redistribute the yeast and then separate into two equal amounts. form into a small loaf and place each in greased bread pans. Slice the top length-wise of each with a knife. Cover each and let rise again for 30-45 minutes.

Bake at 350 F for about 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Turn loaves out of pan onto wire cooling rack on their sides (leaving in pan will continue "baking" them).

No comments:

Post a Comment