Sunday, August 30, 2009

Thoughts on Cookbooks

So I have a couple of followers now and a number of people who are able to publish on here. I was wanting thoughts on various cook books. I really love having them around- even with so many recipes at my fingertips via the Internet. However, there is something about having a physical book or magazine in your hands that makes me feel better. I suppose that means I hate trees or something.

Anyway. I already have two books considered staples for French cooking (Art of French Cooking and Escoffier Cookbook). I've spent time in Italy, so I feel comfortable with Italian food but wouldn't mind having a book with really great traditional recipes. I found one call Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by Marcella Hazan that I have heard is a really great resource. I also found a really cool book of traditional German recipes that I thought would be fun to have around; it is called The German Cookbook: A Complete Guide to Mastering Authentic German Cooking by Mimi Sheraton. The last book I think I want to purchase is The Joy of Cooking by Irma Rombauer.

If you have any other suggestions of books to have, I'd love to hear. I have a subscription to Cooks Illustrated right now that I like to have handy. It includes a lot of really great and interesting recipes- though not all of them are what they tout them to be. For example, I had the simple project of making scones blow up in my face as I followed their incredibly terrible recipe and suggested techniques. However, other ideas they give have been very useful and they have great equipment reviews included in every issue (considering the magazine has no advertisements or sponsors, this is VERY helpful before making any purchases)!

No comments:

Post a Comment