Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Mom's Basic Recipes pt. 1

I can't believe I have yet to post the following recipes.
Like usual, I am in the mood to bake and cook different things that were common to our breakfast/lunch/dinner table growing up. When I first moved to Salt Lake, I requested my mom send me an email with all of these recipes now that I had to make them on my own. Now, one would think that I would save these emails in places that are a) memorable and b) accessible. However, I am not the most technologically savvy person and forget to remove them from my old email accounts (that continue to just receive SPAM throughout the year while I'm not ever checking it).

Anyway. That was a lot of exposition to some pretty basic/staple recipes.

Creamed Soup Base

This is the original recipe that I have adapted into the cheese/broccoli or potato soup

1 potato, diced
½ large onion
Saute in 2 TBL butter or olive oil until the potatoes just start to brown on the edges.
Add:
4 cups chicken broth
You can add any combination of the following:
Potato soup:
2 more potatoes, diced
1 cup sliced celery
cooked bacon—as a garnish
Cheese/broccoli:
1 lb package of chopped borccoli
Orignial Recipe:
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup diced carrot
1 medium green pepper, diced
1 cup sliced mushrooms

Whatever you have chosen, let simmer 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Add 2 cups milk
¼ cup corn starch
¼ cup cream
8 oz. grated sharp chedder cheese

Let simmer 10 minutes and serve

No comments:

Post a Comment