Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Broiled Parmesan Tilapia

Easy. Delicious. And I don't even like fish as a rule of thumb. Need I say more? This one's courtesy of allrecipes.com and 'chef' Pheobe.

1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (not your cheapy kraft kind! get the good stuff- 100% better)
1/4 cup butter, softened
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (I never have lemons on hand, it's always from the concentrate and works as well)
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon onion powder (I subb'd a clove of minced garlic. Can't go wrong with fresh garlic!)
1/8 teaspoon celery salt (Also didn't have on hand, used celery seed)
2 pounds tilapia fillets (Should be enough for 4 fillets)
bread crumbs to dust on top

DIRECTIONS
Preheat your oven's broiler. Grease a broiling pan or line pan with aluminum foil. (Do the alum foil! So easy!)
In a small bowl, mix together the Parmesan cheese, butter, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Season with dried basil, pepper, onion powder and celery salt. Mix well and set aside.
Arrange fillets in a single layer on the prepared pan. Broil a few inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the fillets over and broil for a couple more minutes. (I flipped once more and did for 1 more min since it seemed to need it) Remove the fillets from the oven and cover them with the Parmesan cheese mixture on the top side. (Here's where I dusted the tops with the bread crumbs) Broil for 2 more minutes or until the topping is browned and fish flakes easily with a fork. Be careful not to over cook the fish.

Served with diced, sauteed zucchini in olive oil seasoned with ground pepper and salt(just a little). Would be great with a salad and crusty bread, too! The first time I made this I don't know what I did but it wasn't as good(one big change was probably using real parm). Of course here the second time I made this for the kids and it came out perfectly I managed not to make enough for myself. For the love of Pete. Thankfully, I only briefly singed the pot holder on the element and managed a nickel sized burn on my hand from the baking dish.

Eat your fish! Mama says!

No comments:

Post a Comment