Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Someone's in the Kitchen with Dina making Pepper Jelly, Someone's in the Kitchen I know, I know...

Anyone know just who was in the kitchen with Dina? I know who's not in the kitchen. Me. That's right. You know who is? My husband. That's right! I'm sitting on the couch writing to you while my loving husband seeds peppers for pepper jelly this evening. But don't feel too poorly for him, he didn't get to experience the *joys* of being an at home parent this week and all the shining moments that come with it. Like, a potty training toddler and corn and bean fed infants. Need I say more. Ah, but there is more! Because I am also a portable oven. How so? I am the Constant Baker, the 24/7 maker of one Bun to Be called Sam, somewhere around New Year's. Are you feeling sympathetic, yet? Say 'Yes' or I shall go into detail just what it means when I say corn and bean fed...

Back to the kitchen! Yesterday we made 11 pints of salsa using peppers and tomatoes from our garden. I'm not even positive what some of the peppers are, but we used them regardless. A little bit of this, a little bit of that, it's all about balance and creativity. Any taste-testing volunteers in a week or two? In truth, I find it difficult to eat my own fare as I am far too critical to actually enjoy it! Unfortunately we are to the end of the tomatoes and won't be making more salsa, but we do have peppers by the bushel. Say, 'Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers' seven times fast! Hence this evening's foray into Creative Pepper Jelly Making. This will be our second year making pepper jelly. Last year's (which I just got up the courage to try literally a week ago) was lacking in flavor and peppers. Plus a little too sweet due to the apple cider vinegar. I most enjoy a jelly with lots of peppers in it. It must have some bite, or by the time it's put over cream cheese it becomes too sickly sweet.

Pepper Jelly take #01 for this year has: 1 1/4 cu jalapenos, 1/2 chili pepper, 2 bananas(we think) and a 1/2 large red bell. All seeded and diced, currently looking lovely in my pot. Like a Christmas present, which this will most likely become. Add to this 2 cu white vinegar and 6 cu sugar. My thought on white versus apple is that it will hold it's color better and look pretty. If I had apple on hand I might do a batch of each just to taste test the difference. But we don't, so here's to hoping! Lastly, 1 pkg liquid pectin. We went on a limb here and picked up a box of Ball brand seeing as the Certo I bought a year ago was apparently to be used by 2006. I'm not sure if I'm more upset that in 2008, there was still a box of 2006 sitting there meaning no one else was canning or, now I can't use it because I checked the blasted date.

As far as the rest of the nitty gritty:

Fill a water bath canner about half full; add the empty canning jars (6 half-pint size) and bring to a boil. Lower heat and leave jars in the hot water. Fill a saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Lower heat and add the lids; keep hot.
In a large stainless steel stockpot or kettle, combine vinegar, chopped/processed jalapeno peppers, and sugar. Bring to a full rolling boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in the liquid pectin and return to a full rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and skim off any foam. Ladle into the hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace and wipe jar rims with a wet paper towel. Fit with lids and screw on the bands firmly. Place the jars in the canner on a rack and add more boiling water to at least 1 inch above the jars.
Bring to a boil, cover, and keep boiling for 10 minutes. Note: 1-pint jars should be processed for 15 minutes. Makes about 6 half-pint (8 ounce) jars.

Cross your spatulas, throw some salt over your shoulder and dance the kitchen jig that this turns out! Before I forget- Just what does one do with pepper jelly? Put it on toast, meats, bagels. Most commonly you take a brick of softened cream cheese, throw it on a plate, pour a jar of jelly over it and serve with crackers. For anyone that's not tried it before, this might sound like a really strange combination but it is very, very addictive. Great for parties!

Be on the lookout for apple/red onion chutney in the next few weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment