Friday, September 18, 2009

Stacy's Brazilian Soup

(as Blogspot hates me this evening, this is freakin take 2 in writing this all down!)

I am so proud! I did this myself! Ok, so I used one recipe and it's mismatched photo as a base but made up the rest based on what I had. Here is the base: http://www.vegetariansrecipes.org/2666/Brazilian-Black-Bean-Soup.html and you can see in the pic, not so much the same thing according to the directions below the picture!

This is what I came up with using the base plus stuff in my kitchen that needed used or I thought sounded good:

8cu water
1 can black beans drained/rinsed
1 can pinto beans drained/rinsed
3-4 med. tomatoes chopped to desired size
1 sm-med. onion white or yellow(I had yellow)
3 green onions diced
3-4 cloves minced garlic
1 bell pepper whatever size and color(I had a small green one from the garden)
1 pint corn(frozen from our garden!)
2-3 cu chopped zucchini(of course, from our garden LOL)
1 cu leftover cooked rice from an earlier meal
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1 tbsp chili powder(used Penzey's medium hot, yum!)
1/2 tsp cumin ground or seed
salt and pepper to taste(sppose I ended up doing 1/2 tsp each)
1 tbsp lemon, lime or orange juice

*served with
tortilla chips
shredded cheddar cheese
avocado
mango
oranges

Pretty much threw it all in the stock pot, save for the already cooked rice and green onions which I did the last 10 or so. Let it boil/simmer for 45min til it cooked down some. Then let each person add cheese and chips. The new thing for us? I put chunked avocado, mango and oranges on top of each person's served bowl. Sounds weird, was totally delicious(and thanks to that mismatched photo to the above recipe link!) This made quite a bit. We ate it for dinner and now have 2 meals in the freezer plus 2 servings for Isaac to take to work AND still more to share for the roommate and her boyfriend tomorrow. Pretty much you can take the base and do whatever you want with it, I imagine. A side note, this was so filling I have no idea what else you'd eat with it or why you'd even want to try!

No comments:

Post a Comment